Pages

Tuesday 9 December 2014

Flat Bottomed Flos

http://notionallybetter.wordpress.com/

Like many others I was very excited to see Style Arc release this pattern and I am very pleased to say that it has lived up to expectation.
IMGP3445_Fotor
 First I made a pair of shorts in the same blackish denim that I used for my Barb jeans. After wearing these for a while I decided that the only change needed was to take 1.5cm from the centre front down to nothing at the side seams. (Or what would be the side seams if they weren’t moved forward as they are on the Flos.) This is not because the front crotch length is too long (that fit was great from the start) but because I am very short waisted and the waistband was creasing and folding over.
As a a comparison here are the Barbs next to the Flos so that you can see just how much less fabric there is under the bum.
IMGP2888_Fotor_Fotor_Collage
I then made a full length pair of in navy cotton spandex. And they were a complete FAIL. No photos because I can hardly get them on. Completely my fault due to poor fabric choice. I thought that the navy was the same as the red cotton spandex that I used for my first Barb shorts. But it wasn’t. It was much lighter weight and with considerably less stretch. But I did not let that defeat me.
I bought some lovely very dark indigo stretch denim. It is great fabric. Really soft and black on the wrong side so that you don’t get that light look when the denim is stretched.
IMGP3442_Fotor_Fotor_CollageAnd let me just say that I love these Flo jeans. They are hands down the most comfortable jeans I’ve had in years. i think I may have said that about the Barb jeans but these are even better. My husband was like “Wow, they fit you better in the bum than other pants you’ve ever had”. Actually he said that when I first made the shorts and it was completely unprompted. It seems he is paying more attention than I perhaps give him credit for :)
IMGP3437
I used gold topstitching thread on the yoke,waist seam, pockets and side seams.
Some of the topstitching on the pockets is a little dodgy. Largely because I added the pockets to the already sewn up jeans, which is not a good idea. I was so eager to confirm that these would fit that I forgot that I intended to baste the side seams and then undo the side seams and add the pockets. After realising that they fit really well I went straight to finishing the side seams. I won’t make that mistake again.
IMGP3436_Fotor
But really I know that the whole point of the pattern is the back view.
IMGP3443_Fotor_Fotor_Collage
I’ve had to really overexpose these so that you can see at least some detail. On the next pairs (there will be several more) I will make the pockets smaller.
IMGP3444_Fotor
UPDATE: I’ve changed the photos to some slightly better ones. Apologies for the all round terrible photos. I’ve got a bit of a cold and wasn’t in the mood to muck around for more than 2 minutes (as you can see from my expressions in the front view). But you will be seeing these again with the new tops I’m making to go with my fab new jeans. And then you’ll be seeing the next versions of these. I have some great black denim up next and I’m planning some capri length and next summer there’ll be more shorts.
So if you’re flat bottomed I can’t recommend this enough.
Is this your fitting issue? Have you tried the Flos yet or do you plan to?

Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. These look fantastic on you! I in no way have a flat bottom, but I absolutely LOVE that StyleArc identified the need for this fit and released this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michelle. You are so right about the pattern. Hopefully they may also release others that address other specific fit issues.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gaye, these look fantastic- I've purchased the pattern (being, like you, a flat bottomed flo), but haven't made them up yet.

    Let's hope Style Arc do some more flat bottom pants - mind you, one TNT that fits is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah Liz. Yes, more would be lovely but I am mighty pleased to have this one.

      Delete
  3. Great pants. I can't wait to try this pattern.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Mandy. I hope it works as well for you.

      Delete
  4. Well done onmaking not only a pair of great fitting pants but aalso on a pair of great looking pants on you and fabulous top stitching too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Chris. I am extremely pleased with them but is all down to the pattern - this is pretty much straight out of the envelope.

      Delete

I love to hear from readers, so please leave a comment.