Pages

Thursday 22 May 2014

Going Global;Going Thai

Don't you love Project Sewn?  I really admire the participants in the official competition but also really like seeing what all the participants in the sew along do. But it has never before occurred to me to participate myself. Until this time. As soon as I saw the Going Global theme, I knew exactly what I was going to make; the country, the design and the fabric.

To me it was obvious that I would choose my adopted home of Thailand as the country of influence, so to speak. I also knew that I wanted to incorporate a couple of elements that seem very "Thai contemporary"  (for want of a better description) to me and I absolutely knew that it had to be local mudmee (ikat) fabric.

So this is what I came up with. (yes, I drafted it myself:)

My Thai design

The two main design elements were the tucks on the upper bodice and the both cut-on and sewn-on godets. You can see the tucks on the left upper bodice above. And here's a close up..

Upper bodice tucks


Sewn-on godet

Did you notice my sewn-on godet?


Cut-on godet

And the cut-on godet side.

Gorgeous wooden buttons
These lovely wooden buttons are reminiscent of coconut shell buttons, which would certainly be more 'traditional' but to me scream 'made for tourists'.

Back view

And a (very crooked) back view where you can just make out the lines of both types of godet. And the fab use of the different 'stripes' of the fabric. Yes, I am mighty proud of that:)

I post full construction details in a post tomorrow. For now I'm off to have a well-deserved drink and bask in the glow of a project that turned out exactly the way I envisioned it....

And if you're of a mind to, you might like to pop on over to Project Sewn, check out the sew along entries and perhaps even vote for me.....



Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Great job! It looks great and looks comfortable as well. I hope the current political unrest in Thailand isn't affecting you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Leigh. It is really comfortable. Yes we certainly live in interesting times here at the moment. We are only so far affected by TV being shutdown and the curfew. Neither of which have any real affect on us. But I did rush to get this post up yesterday as there was a rumour that the internet would be blocked - fortunately that turned out to just be a rumour. Cheers

      Delete
  2. You sure did do a great job with this dress! I love all the details you added as it really makes it something special :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris. I must admit that I was pretty chuffed with how it turned out.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic dress you designed, all the details and gorgeous fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The fabric is good, isn't it? I think it really makes what is otherwise a fairly simple shift.

      Delete

I love to hear from readers, so please leave a comment.